Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Constipation Problems



Constipation Problems
Question:Can you suggest some safe products which I can use long-term for constipation?
Good day, Ben!
I am on your mailing list. I am requesting advice about my constipation/lack of intestinal peristalis.
I have tried practically everything: various supplements, colonics, always drink plenty of water (which causes me to constantly urinate), eating high fiber foods, taking psyllium, flaxseed, flaxmeal,--these 3 only succeed in causing bloating and hardened stools (organic) staying away from "junk" foods, etc.
I have come to the point (which I have resisted for many years) in drinking Trim-Maxx dieter's tea which contains Cassia Angustifolia, Gynostemma, and Lyccii Berry Leaf. I have been using this tea for 2 months to assist me in eliminating.
If I try to decrease the dosage and/or stop drinking the tea I become constipated again. There are several family members who experience the same problem.
I have also tried Tryphala and other supplements to no avail.
Can you suggest some products (SAFE) which I can use long-term?
Obviously, changing my diet does not help me (it's been 10 years or so that I have been struggling since this constipation/lack of peristalis has been exacerbated. 10 years ago a chiropractor, who had supplied me with many supplements had told me to stop them at once. That's when I stopped feeling any "urges" to defecate.
Of course, I have had digestive and some constipation problems since I was a child. I am now 50 years old.
Please help me if you can.
ThanksJuliana Answer:
Hi Juliana -
Sorry to hear about your troubles with constipation.
A few things I see immediately from reading your note -
If you drink a lot of water and feel that it is simply coming right out, you are likely low in electrolytes. I highly recommend that you get some quality electrolytes and take them daily. Follow the directions on the bottle.
Sounds like your body is not maintaining proper water balance which can cause constipation. Nat Mur 6x cell salt is useful for those with water imbalances. Put 25 tablets of Nat Mur in a liter of water (along with the electrolytes) and drink throughout the day. For flavor, you can add some jam, honey or an Emergen'C packet.
Eliminating wheat and dairy products from your diet may provide you with significant benefits. Many get constipated from both.
You can get your calcium and fiber from Chia Seeds. They are highly nutritious, inexpensive and can be put in smoothies, eaten straight or sprinkled on salads.
Before meals, take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and squeeze a slice of lemon both into a cup of water. Drink this right after waking up and 20 minutes before each big meal. This stimulates digestion which is key in peristalsis.
Magnesium citrate is essential for proper muscle contraction and peristalsis. You will likely notice other benefits as well from magnesium such as improved sleep, reduced anxiety and proper bowel movements ;)
Chew your food well. The Chinese say: Chew your water and drink your food. Chew Chew Chew.
Every day sit on the toilet at the same time. Your body needs to get on a schedule. I recommend doing this about 20 minutes after you drink the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and water in the AM
Go for long walks daily.
Do not drink during meals. This reduces the concentration of digestive enzymes and stomach acid leading to constipation. I had one patient who suffered from constipation for years and it turned out that she drank loads of liquid during meals. She stopped and started having regular bowel movements again.

No comments:

Post a Comment